Tuesday, August 9, 2011 0 comments

Poetry of the Stars

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. I do not seek or conjecture either of them as if they were veiled obscurities or extravagances beyond the horizon of my vision; I see them before me and connect them immediately with the consciousness of my existence. — Immanuel Kant 

Then the sky spoke to me in language clear, familiar as the heart, than love more near. The sky said to my soul, 'You have what you desire! Know now that you are born along with these clouds, winds, and stars, and ever-moving seas and forest dwellers. This your nature is. - 'Passion' (1943)

Up through an empty house of stars,
Being what heart you are,
Up the inhuman steeps of space
As on a staircase go in grace,
Carrying the firelight on your face
Beyond the loneliest star
 
-GK. Chesterton


No Response to "Poetry of the Stars"

Post a Comment